Sunday, February 08, 2009

Best unavailable message ever

Error messages are usually the least user friendly messages. On the positive side this may be because they are seen the least and don't require refinement, but after seeing error message haikus I've thought for a while that they should be more pleasant. Sure you're still upset to see that there was an error, but it takes a little bit of the edge off to know the developer was trying to make you feel better.

During the presidential inauguration I wanted to watch the early activities on the web before I went down to my companies cafeteria and watched the main part with my coworkers. I wasn't sure where to go for the video and tried a few places that didn't work. My favorite no luck experience though was CNN with the message below. From a marketing perspective I must say even though I had the worst scenario (going to a news site and getting zero coverage), I actually felt better about the brand. Incidentally I ended up at BBC who had choppy but working video.

No comments: