Tuesday, March 03, 2009

creative person

I've decided to write short stories. No, that's not right written. I wrote some short stories and decided I'm going to write short stories. And something else. As I've mentioned to many people, I've had difficulty writing any descent poetry for the past couple years. It's not that I don't write at all, but I have lost the habit of it, so on the rare occasion that I pick up pen I write drivel.

I was at brunch recently with a group of friends and they gave me some great words of advice. In particular I was told I should consider myself a "creative person". Rather than "poet" which forces me to a certain medium or "artist" which implies certain standards and values, I am a creative person. I am freed now to simply create new and unusual stuff, no particular medium and no particular forum is required. Simply create.

Thanks Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep. Thanks for almost making me cry, Bill.

It's true-- we're so busy finding a proper label for ourselve when we've been too good for labels the entire time.