Monday, May 25, 2009

dishwasher repair - an article for the DIY folks - part 2

Yup, it's all apart again. After replacing the solenoid, I closed the lock, ran the dial around to the different cycles, and saw the solenoid open and close the drain as it should. I didn't have time then for a full cycle so I figured the real test would have to wait.

When I did have a chance, I ran the washer and it burnt out the solenoid again. I was going to closely watch it for its maiden voyage, but the phone rang. When I hung up the phone the scent of burnt electrical doodad was in the air.

I found an appliance repair site that suggested burnt out solenoids twice in a row means the timer is an issue. So back to the old dishwasher in the basement and in a couple minutes I had a new timer installed. Of course now I've burnt out all my solenoids, so I had to order a new one.



The timer assembly


One post I found online suggested that you can save money by just replacing the timer motor in the assembly because it is the problem most of the time. What you should do is test the resistance of the motor and compare it to your schematic. In general, it should be in the 2000 to 3500 ohms range. I had a free full assembly in the basement, so I didn't bother testing the motor. Also I know that the dishwasher in the basement is older but has been run far less than the one in our unit. I would advise you to check how the motor mounts on to the assembly before ordering a new motor. Mine is mounted with little bent metal tabs which are not meant for repeated assembly and disassembly. In my experience it can be tough to get those to hold the motor just right. Also if you fiddle with them too much, they can snap.


The timer motor

It took awhile to match up the numbers from the part online, but eventually I found part 824336 on RepairClinic.com. A search for most of the numbers printed on both the timer and the solenoid had no results in google or on a couple appliance parts sites, so I figured it might be helpful if there was a list posted online of all of the part numbers that are used together in the dishwasher. I tend to prefer confirmation that not only the model number of the appliance agrees, but that the part number does to. You never know if some crazy DIY guy replaced parts in your appliance from a different model in the basement. Anyway without further ado, here's a fascinating list of numbers:


dishwasher

GE
GSD2200G00WW

timer motor
M9Y5Z00271
115VAC CW 3W
RPM 1/3
60 hz
02-39
GH-01

timer gear and switch assembly (from basement)
norm TM061G2
E190094
165D5484P002
H21002123 (stamped on case)

timer gear and switch assembly (from installed unit)
norm TM061G3
E190094
165D5484P003
l21209202 (stamped on case)

drain valve solenoid
E156186
165D5478P002
LR104577-6
120V/60HZ 71WI
STC-13UC B01 (might be 301)

7 comments:

ollav said...

Update: It's now the end of September and the washer is still running fine, so apparently it was the timer and solenoid.

Adventures with the Werkema's said...

ok so i have Kenmore dish washer and the solenoid went out on it. The numbers on the solenoid match the numbers on your GE washer. So that makes them the same parts right? The Reason I ask is because my applaince part dealer doesnot sale Kenmore. Also Is there a wiring diagram for the timer some where on the washer or did you look that up some where? Thanks

ollav said...

Kenmore tends to put their name on other brand name products (our Kenmore air conditioner is actually an LG), so I'll bet that's your solenoid.

The timer doesn't have a schematic, but there is a little chart identifying the connections. If you click on the photo above it should enlarge. We've moved, otherwise I could get a better photo for you

ashley said...

I realize this post is old so not sure you still keep up with this. I just ordered the timer assembly from GE as that was the only place I could find the part. The sent the assembly with out the green wheel on the back that triggers the soap hatch on the door mid cycle. Any suggestions? It's Sunday so if I don't hear from you I will probably give them a call this week.

Also, when removing the assembly the latch that triggers that hatch (the one with the spring attached to it) popped off and not 100% sure where it goes.

Any help would be appreciated.

ollav said...

Ashley, I'd love to help, but we've moved since then and I don't have the same dishwasher anymore. I'd need to see it to be sure about the spring. If you have the green wheel from the old assembly that might work. You might want to post a message in a plumbing specific blog and see if anyone can help.

Unknown said...

How nice post is! We are providing oven repair rancho murrieta services. If you need please contact us. We are waiting for you.
Thanks

Sara meri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.