Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scala

Through a friend's influence I decided to play around with Scala. The easiest way to install it on OSX is macPORTS, according to the O'Reilly book. Turns out macPORTS had two curve balls for me. The first is that at work we have all remote rsync disabled, so I had to use this setup:

modified /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf to not use rsync with this line:
http://www.macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz [default]

synced ports tree with this line:
sudo port -d sync


Then when I went to sync it turns out the name of the port had changed to include the version number so when you tried to "install scala" you were told "Please one of the numbered scala* ports instead". Now I see what the message means but when it first appeared the awkward phrasing threw me. Anyway I googled it, google translated a Japanese blog and found the answer which I have below.

_____
bash-3.2$ sudo port install scala
---> Computing dependencies for scala
---> Fetching scala
Error: Please one of the numbered scala* ports instead.
Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: obsolete port

bash-3.2$ port search scala
[...scala27...scala28...]

bash-3.2$ sudo port install scala28

1 comment:

prajval said...

Thanks! This was useful