Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hiatus Explanation

So it's been a couple years since my last post. Way back before that I was using LiveJournal. I don't remember what I posted as, put I think I had an icon of a typewriter and tended to get side tracked in my posts and talk about unimportant details like icons for blogs I don't post to anymore.

Anyway, I signed up on blogger just to squat on the name ollav and also so I could comment on friends blogs. I called myself the "blogless blogger" now and then when commenting. While I was squatting on the url ollav.blogspot.com I did work on a little blog about Judaism, but it was not written to be read. It was just a place to collect personal notes. I did have one post worth reading, but it was actually just a reprint of something I wrote for my synagogue's newsletter.

I'm writing now because of the O'Reilly TOC conference that I just attended. I'll speak more about what the inspiration was in a latter post, though it has a lot to do with my work in IT at a publishing house. It seems not only publishing is pushing into the social networking buzzy word thing though. I know of people from the music world, video games, and social sector non-profits who have this same unspoken work pressure. I find it interesting that some people of my generation (actually all within a year of my age) are getting into the social networking thing because of their jobs. We're just on the cusp of being generationally motivated to join. Others at the same age were getting in on this from the start, so based on the good science of a sample group of a dozen who are 1/3 into it, 1/3 pushed into it by work, and 1/3 not interested or ambivalent, I say my generation is the cusp generation for social networking.

B

No comments: