Tuesday, February 12, 2008

eBooks in iTunes

I learned today from Phillip Torrone at the O'Reilly TOC that eBooks are supported by iTunes. I feel silly since I've received PDFs from iTunes when I purchased albums that included them, but I also was told by some in the print publishing world that it just wasn't so. Apparently Make knew about it in 2005 and latter speculated on them being added to the iPod, which I think is the future. EBook readers are only going to be around until phones have comparable abilities (like maybe fold out screens or maybe simple iPhone support). I was convinced of this after hearing on NPR about Kurzweil's phone that reads for the blind (knfbREADER). Vision impaired people said this device they would buy because it meant not carrying around an extra device. Here are people who need such a device and yet they wouldn't buy it unless it was in a phone. I'm sure Kindle will help get things started, but the log that will be lit is going to be a hand held device that handles voice and can be made compact.

B

No comments: