Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Online Identity as Resume

One of the ideas floating around the O'Reilly TOC was that an online identity is better than a resume. I think this makes some sense. The days of wanting people who would perfectly conform themselves (their lives) to a rote template are passing. When you need creative thinkers and problem solvers, you might find those people best when you give them the space to be themselves. However one thing worries me: resume honesty. I've had the luxury of only really needing a resume once in my life (I worked for myself for a long time and have then been with the same publisher for a long time). I didn't need the job, so I was very frank on the resume. But you hear stories about resume dishonesty all the time. Online identities are surely fraught with inaccuracy or bravado at times, but how much worse so if the online identity is viewed as a resume? But on the other hand maybe we are all best served by knowing our next employer will look us up online. It might gives us pause before clicking "send" and maybe we'll have a little less noise on the net.

B

No comments: